From the (Havre de Grace) Record , , ,
More than $2 million in federal funding for part of the Susquehanna Flood Forecast and Warning System is in jeopardy because of the U.S. Senate’s Appropriations Committee has implemented a two-year moratorium on earmarkeds as a means of funding such programs.
A lack of funding would render useless more than 130 gauges along the Susquehanna River.
The potential for the funding cutback, which would affect the warning system for Port Deposit and other areas on the lower regions of the river in Cecil and Harford counties, concerns members of the Susquehanna River Basin Commission, one of the partners in the warning system.
The earmarks moratorium, approved at the beginning of this month, will apply to fiscal years 2011 and 2012, according to a press release posted on the U.S. Senate Committee on Appropriations government website.
Previously included in earmarked funding was $2.4 million for the Susquehanna Flood Forecast and Warning System.
Port Deposit Mayor Kerry Anne Abrams said Wednesday that while she was unaware of the situation with the forecast system’s funding, the idea of a weakened flood warning system makes her nervous.
“Off the top of my head I think it’s going to affect us greatly,” Abrams said.
Port Deposit, positioned downriver from Conowingo Dam, is no stranger to flooding, and Abrams said the forecast system helps with preparation.
“You would think they would want the warning system there so everyone downstream will have enough time to prepare,” Abrams said.