This week the Cecil Guardian reported that the Maryland Military Department has placed the “armory in Elkton” on a surplus property list. This historic structure, one of only four on the National Register in the county seat, was built of light gray granite in 1915 as part of state’s expansion of the National Guard. It has a large drill hall and imitates a castle’s design with its two corner towers flanking the front and its flying buttresses. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 and officially named the LTC James Victor McCool Armory by the State some years ago.
In addition to serving its protective role as the headquarters for the local company, it also served as a social center for the community with all types of public events being held in the hall. Since the Mayor and Commissioners of Elkton have been searching for property for a recreation center, this state-owned site with its large drill hall for the guard might fill the role. Such an action might also preserve a historic reserve as so many have been lost in Elkton.